She Just Smiled
By P.C. SNIDER
I was wandering through a big, dark forest. It was night time and freezing cold out. I just wanted to find somewhere warm to stay.
Then I saw it. Lights from a mansion far off in the distance. I figured if I could just get over there, I’d be warm. Maybe I could even score some food.
I started walking faster. Out of nowhere, this creepy, sinister laugh echoed through the trees. Like someone was watching me. I froze right in my tracks, looking all over the place trying to see where it came from.
Then a voice whispered out of the dark.
“I am the ghost behind you, I am the ghost beside you...”
Another nasty laugh.
“I am the ghost in front of you!”
Ugh. This really sucks, I thought. But with the cold biting at me, I felt like I had zero choice. I had to keep moving toward the mansion.
After who knows how long of walking, I finally made it to the front door and rang the bell.
A woman in a total black dress opened it with a massive grin.
“Welcome! We have been waiting for you!”
“Say what?" I asked. "How did you even know I was coming? I’ve never been here before.”
She just kept grinning. “We just know.”
“Alright.”
The second I stepped inside, the lights went completely pitch black. She was gone.
I guess I'll just take a tour by myself then.
I wandered around the dark halls for a few moments.
Then the voice came right back.
“I am the ghost behind you, I am the ghost beside you...”
Another sinister laugh rattled the walls.
“I am the ghost in front of you!”
My hand scrambled along the wall until I found a light switch. I flipped it on.
The woman was standing right there in front of me.
She just smiled at me, with blood dripping off her fangs.
The End.
Copyright 09/10/2026